Friday, January 17, 2014

NFL Conference Championships

I am still holding at .500 for this year’s playoffs. That would be an outstanding baseball batting average but it stinks when talking about football games. I am going to try to run the table in these last three playoff games.

New England Patriots (12-4) vs. Denver Broncos (13-3)

Brady vs. Manning: Yes I am looking forward to this matchup. But I also recognize that this is not the same Brady/Manning matchup of the past. Both men are bringing very different teams with them to this game. Brady brings a team that proved last week that they can run the ball, scoring 43 points without Brady throwing a touchdown. And while Manning carries a large part of the offensive load he has the support of a decent running game as well.

These teams are close in just about every category. I think the team that can best establish its running game will win. I think that team will be the Broncos 45-42.

San Francisco 49ers (12-4) vs. Seattle Seahawks (13-3)

If you like defense this will be the game to watch. These defenses will make it difficult to score. And in a big defensive matchup the crowd noise in Seattle will become a big factor. But there is another factor which will dictate this game. That factor can be described in two words: Marsawn Lynch. If Lynch gets going he will carry his team to the big game. With Lynch carrying the ball I think the Seahawks win 17-10.

I see a Super Bowl matchup of the Broncos vs. the Seahawks. Assuming they can avoid a blizzard the big game should be interesting. What do you think?

No comments: