Friday, December 21, 2012

How a Broken Arm Became a Reminder of God’s Love


Of course I expected my family to show concern when I broke my arm. I also figured my church family would share well wishes during the healing process. Outside those circles I did not know what to expect. After telling me I am too old to be out riding a scooter (I fell off after a rookie mistake) so many people showed concern about my broken wing that I had to take note.

Co-workers were genuinely concerned for me, going beyond simply asking how I was doing and investing time in conversation about my arm. A number of them even came by my office regularly to check on my progress. Even the regulars on my train ride home took notice, becoming my cheering section as I moved from a splint to just a sling to nothing at all. The number of people who have followed my progress far exceeds my expectations, giving me a much different perspective from my co-dependent past where I often wondered if any person honestly cared.

With each conversation about my fracture I found myself thinking of someone else who has gone out of his way to show his love. I found myself wondering how many of those well wishers were sent by God, His way of telling me He cares. He is concerned when one of us hurts, be it physically or emotionally. He wants more than just the casual “God please heal…” waiting for us to pour out our hearts before Him. He follows the moment by moment progress of my healing arm. He also follows your life, knowing every detail even down to the number of hairs on your head. And yes He does care about each one.

My first broken bone has been…well…just say it has been an experience, one I hope to never have ever again. But I am thankful for the outpouring of love and concern shown by those around me. I am also thankful for the opportunity my arm has afforded me in seeing God’s love revealed.

No comments: