Monday, May 14, 2012

My Façade Went Up in Flames


I have never had a grease fire in a charcoal grill. Charcoal grills are somewhat self cleaning, everything turning to ash which is easily swept into a trash can. This is not true for gas grills as I discovered recently when I tried to cook a pack of short ribs. The resulting fire quickly took over the interior of the grill. Instead of coming from the burners the flames were dancing across the grease along the bottom of the grill. Turning off the propane did not help. After salvaging the meat I grabbed the extinguisher, creating a big white cloud.

No one was hurt. I did not burn off my eye lashes or anything like that. But any thought of ever again using a gas grill disappeared in the flames. You see gas grilling just is not me. It was something I did just because others said I should, another case of following the crowd instead of sticking with the convictions of my heart. It was an easy way to fit in, a part of the façade created during my co-dependent years. As was often the case that façade was crafted to allow for fitting in instead of taking the risk of standing out.

It took a grease flare up to turn me away from gas grilling. It took a different kind of flare up to turn me away from my façade as it applied to my faith. I thought it okay to follow the pack, until my internet faith companions began acting out of fear. My façade went up in flames as I discovered how following the most vocal crowd just might mean a compromise that is not worth making. Those actions which made me so comfortable among my on line friends made me uncomfortable in the presence of God.

Gas grilling was not right for me. Neither was a faith which seemed to have a form of godliness while denying the power thereof. True Christian faith will make the believer peculiar to the world. It may also put us at odds with those who claim to walk as they should even while following their own wisdom. Not that I shun large groups, after all the Bible tells us not to forsake the gathering of the saints, but a stampede heading in the wrong direction is not where I want to fit in.

No comments: