Friday, March 30, 2012

What Can be Worth More Than $500 Million?

If you answered $501 million or something along those lines, I concede. Yet I know of something with an even greater value, many things in fact.

I started putting my list together as I thought about the new record Mega Millions jackpot up for grabs today. Not that I plan on playing but it is fun to try to fathom having a half-billion dollars. It’s even more fun and satisfying to think of those things I already have which are priceless, contributing to my life in a way that money just could never buy.

Number one on my list is God. Did you really expect me to say something or someone different? Having a relationship with the Creator of all things is more valuable than I could have imagined back when I first became a Christian. Back then I was only concerned with avoiding condemnation and with finding a place to fit in. Over the years I have truly been enriched by the presence of God. I can no longer imagine life without Him. My cost for a lifetime of experiences with the Lord comes to a grand total of zero dollars.

Over the last couple of days a lot of people have paid a dollar or two for a chance at the record jackpot. What are the odds of any one individual winning? Let’s not go there. What are the odds of receiving something of value from an authentic relationship with God? The Gospel comes with a guarantee of life changing experiences and immeasurable value.

No comments: